Thursday 7 July 2011

Players of the past - Peter Aitken Interview



Q1. When did you realise that you wanted to be a proffesional football player?
A. Well I've always loved playing and I started to play for local teams when I was about 8 years old.

Q2. Who inspired you to start playing football?
A. My uncle inspired me to start playing football.

Q3. Who was your first professional team?
A. Bristol Rovers were my first professional team.

Q4. Who was your first manager?
A. Bill Dodgin was my first manager.

Q5. Who were the best players you've ever played with?
A. I've played with lots of very talented players they include Harold Jarman, Wayne Jones, Kenny Stevens, Andrew Evans and Paul Randle.

Q6.Who was the best player you've played against?
A. George Best

Q7.What are the best teams you've played for?
A. The best teams I've played for are Bristol Rovers, Longwell Green Abbottonians and Metavon.

Q8. What was the best goal you've ever scored?
A. The best goal I've ever scored was at Cambridge United

Q9. What years did you play for Rovers?
A. 1969-1982

Q10. How many appearances did you make for Rovers?
A. 280-90

Q11. Can you tell me a bit about the Ashton Gate 8?
A. The Ashton Gate 8 were 8 Bristol City players who agreed to terminate there contracts in order to save the club.


Peter Aitken left Rovers in 1980 to join Bristol City.  He then went on to join York City, Bath City until 1985.  He left to join Trowbridge Town.  He also played for Forest Green Rovers.  Aitken returned to Bristol  Rovers as community manager in 2000 as post he still holds.



1 comment: